Intro to Alpine Rock Course
Alpine Guides Intro to Alpine Rock gives gym climbers and rock novices the chance to climb natural rock and develop sport, trad, and multi-pitch skills. The course will extend your climbing abilities, push your grades, and open up the world of multi-pitch natural rock - in the stunning playground of the Southern Alps.
Get out of the Gym and Into the Mountains
Alpine rock climbing areas come into best condition in mid-summer. We recommend starting from mid-December to ensure rock faces are clean of snow.
We spend the first day and a half at our local crag, Sebastopol Bluffs. The Bluffs have recently gained much attention and development, and make a perfect introduction to multi-pitch rock.
We then move on to a venue deep in a remote remote mountain valley, to continue training, and pushing your grades.
A wealth of climbing options close by:
- Sebastopol Bluffs (at Mt Cook Village) - our initial training venue
- Twin Streams (15 minutes drive) - one of NZ's premier multi-pitch venues
- Ohau and the Temple Valley (1 hours drive) - great "adventure" climbing, off the beaten track.
The course format is always flexible, and you will travel to get the best weather and dry rock available.
Booking a course
All Intro Alpine Rock courses are booked on a private basis - totally tailored to your instruction requirements. This "private course" format is perfect for beginner climbers, and only minimal climbing experience is required. See the detailed notes for more details.
Instruction topics include:
- Multi-pitch climbing
- Building anchors
- Placing natural protection
- Belay systems and techniques
- Abseil descents and safety
- Introduction to lead climbing
- Good level of aerobic fitness
- Keen to push yourself
- No previous rock climbing required