Technical Alpine Rock Course
The 10-day Technical Alpine Rock Course takes you on to serious multi-pitch alpine rock routes in the Southern Alps. The locations of choice are Twin Stream in the Ben Ohau Range, the South Temple Valley, and the Darran Mountains in Fiordland.
Learn to lead and move safely on alpine rock
You will climb a number of multi-pitch routes on to mountain summits. As soon as possible you will find yourself on the "sharp end" of the rope, (under your guide’s watchful eye) on long multi-pitch routes.
Your guide will help you develop judgment, and learn the skills necessary to become self-sufficient in the mountains on alpine rock.
The Technical Alpine Rock is an excellent follow-up to our Intro to Alpine Rock Course ›
Instruction topics include
- Lead climbing
- Placing natural protection
- Building anchors
- Belay systems and techniques
- Multi pitch rope management
- Double rope technique
- Multiple abseil descents and safety
- Moving together on rock
- High level of aerobic fitness
- Lead climb to at least AU rock grade 16 (bolted)
- Placing natural protection is not a pre-requisite and will be covered in depth
- A great follow-up to our Intro to Alpine Rock Course ›
Season: Summer (January-February)
Trip Type: Summer Course
Length: 10 days
Max Guide/Participant Ratio: 1:3
Maximum of 6 participants
Price NZ$3,900 per person
- All meals and snacks
- Road transport
- Use of technical gear
- Alpine Guides Technical Manual ›
Meet your guide, Sam Bosshard
"Senior" AGL guide Sam Bosshard runs the Technical Alpine Rock Course. Sam developed the course to share his love of long alpine rock routes. Read Sam's bio ›
Summer 2013/14 Course Schedule
Courses are limited to 6 participants and 2 guides.