Expedition Training Course
Alpine Guides Expedition Training Course will prepare you for expedition-style mountaineering challenges anywhere on Earth.
Big mountain training at "low" altitude
Aoraki Mount Cook area offers Himalayan vertical scale, steep glaciers, and fast-changing weather. The benefit of training here is the high-altitude feel, without the dangers of extreme cold and lack of oxygen.
10 Days of high alpine immersion
Our Expedition Course base camp is at a prime location deep in Mt Cook National Park. We fly you in and out, to avoid heavy load carrying, and to maximise training time.
During your 10 days you will focus on camp management, fixed line techniques, and how to travel and climb safety in extreme glaciated mountain terrain.
Instruction topics include:
- Trip planning and preparation
- Camp management skills
- Crampon and ice axe technique
- Rope skills - including “fixed” rope techniques
- Decision making/risk analysis at altitude
- Glacier travel techniques
- Anchors on snow and rock
- High level of fitness
- Trekking/tramping experience
Season: Summer (Nov- Feb)
Trip Type: Summer Course
Length: 10 days
Max Guide/Participant Ratio: 1:4
Maximum of 8 participants
Price NZ$3,900 per person
- All meals and snacks
- Flights into and out of mountains
- Local transport
- Free use of a range of technical gear
- Alpine Guides Technical Manual ›
Summer 2013/14 Course Schedule
|ETC 1||Nov 18-27|
|ETC 2||Jan 13-22|
|ETC 3||Feb 10-19|