Tasman Glacier, Grand Expedition
Alpine Guides Tasman Glacier, Grand Expedition offers experienced and fit mountaineers many challenging peaks - with snow, ice, mixed, and alpine rock routes. Fly in to the head of the valley then attempt as many summits as possible on the journey out.
Grand Expedition Highlights
- Low guide/participant ratio (1:1 or 1:2)
- Flexible objectives
- Choose your own start date (subject to guide availability)
- Tap into your expert guide's local knowledge
12 days are spent climbing and travelling on foot down the length of the Tasman Valley. Both mountain huts and bivouacs are used, as objectives require.
The Venue | Tasman Valley
The Tasman is New Zealand's longest glacier. From its nevé at 2,600 metres it carves a huge valley 29 kilometres long and 2 kilometres wide. The glacier’s eastern and western sides are flanked by towering peaks - the Main Divide on the west, and the Malte Brun and Liebig Ranges to the east.
The path to bigger things?
Many climbers who have achieved notable Himalayan ascents have made their start with an Alpine Guides trip. Our experience and the serious nature of the region provide the best possible platform to “go higher”. This expedition is designed specifically for those with 7,000 & 8,000 metre ambitions.
- Very high level of aerobic fitness
- Previous high alpine climbing experience on moderate/technical terrain
Season: Summer (November - April)
Trip Type: NZ Expedition
Length: 12 days
Guide /Participant Ratio: 1:1 or 1:2
Prices | Summer 2013/14
- All meals and snacks
- Air access to Tasman Saddle
- Free use of a range of technical gear
Scheduling and Booking
- The start date is privately arranged - to suit your travel plans.
- Dates are subject to guide availability
- Advance bookings are absolutely essential