Mount Tasman Expedition | 3,497 metres
Alpine Guides Mount Tasman guided climb is a 6 day expedition on to New Zealand's second highest peak. Mt Tasman is a serious ascent for experienced mountaineers. Every ridge to Mount Tasman's summit requires excellent technique, concentration and commitment.
Rarakiora - "Long Unbroken Line"
Mount Tasman sits alongside Mount Cook, on the Main Divide. Sculpted by the weather of the Southern Alps, Mount Tasman's summit is a beautiful and sinuous peak - an ice climber’s dream.
All guided routes are snow and ice, featuring steep faces and exposed airy ridges. Rarakiora translates from Maori into "long unbroken line".
Guided Routes | Mt Tasman
We guide at least 2 routes on Mount Tasman. Route choice depends on conditions, and your mountaineering experience.
Most commonly guided. Based from Pioneer Hut at the head of the Fox Glacier.
Early season only. Based from Plateau Hut, on the Grand Plateau.
- High level of aerobic fitness
- Previous high alpine climbing experience on moderate/technical terrain
- Experience climbing with 2 tools on 50° to 55° snow and ice
Season: Summer (mid-October to April)
Trip Type: NZ Expedition
Length: 6 days
Guide/Participant Ratio: strictly 1:1
Price NZ$5,250 per person
- Guiding fees
- All meals and snacks
- Accommodation and hut fees
- Air access to Grand Plateau/Pioneer
- Free use of a range of technical gear
Scheduling and Booking
- Each expedition start date is privately arranged - to suit your travel plans
- Dates are subject to guide availability
- Advance bookings are absolutely essential.