Technical Mountaineering Course (TMC)
Alpine Guides Technical Mountaineering Course (TMC) is an intensive introduction to alpine climbing in glaciated terrain. Based at Aoraki Mount Cook, the 9 day TMC will kick-start your mountaineering exploits.
Your Introduction to Technical Alpine Climbing
The TMC provides a solid grounding in all alpine mountaineering skills. Previous alpine (snow & ice) climbing experience is not required. However, you must be fit, keen to learn new skills, and have some roped climbing experience.
The TMC is ideal:
- For rock climbers looking for alpine climbing skills
- As a follow-up from our introductory Mountain Experience Course (MEC) ›
- For training towards longer-term technical mountaineering objectives
Many of Australasia's most prominent climbers (and many mountain guides) began their careers on a TMC.
The TMC Tune-up is a 1.5 day rope and rock climbing clinic that runs prior to each Technical Mountaineering Course. If it has been some time since you worked with ropes, or you need some additional training, the Tune-up will help get you to the standard required. Read more about the TMC Tune-up ›
Instruction topics include:
- Glacier travel and crevasse rescue
- Snow and ice climbing
- Belay systems and techniques
- Modern rope techniques
- Route finding
- Emergency shelters
- Mountain navigation, weather and forecasting
- Avalanche hazard evaluation
- High level of fitness
- Basic rope skills (e.g. rock climbing, caving, abseiling)
- Trekking/tramping experience
Season: Summer (November- March)
Trip Type: Summer Course
Length: 9 days
Max Guide/Participant Ratio: 1:4
Maximum of 8 participants
Price NZ$3,450 per person
- All meals and snacks
- Free use of technical gear
- Aircraft flights in and out
- Local transport
- Alpine Guides Technical Manual ›
Summer 2014/15 Course Schedule
|TMC 1||Nov 12-21||Open|
|TMC 2||Nov 19-28||Open|
|TMC 3||Nov/Dec 26-05||Open|
|TMC 4||Dec 03-12||Open|
|TMC 5||Dec 10-19||Open|
|TMC 6||Dec/Jan 29-07||Open|
|TMC 7||Jan 07-16||Open|
|TMC 8||Jan 14-23||Open|
|TMC 9||Jan 21-30||Open|
|TMC 10||Jan/Feb 28-06||Open|
|TMC 11||Feb 04-13||Open|
|TMC 12||Feb 11-20||Open|
|TMC 13||Feb 18-27||Open|
|TMC 14||Feb/Mar 25-06||Open|
|TMC 15||Mar 04-13||Open|
|TMC 16||Mar 11-19||Open|
- Open - free to book.
- Limited - Please check before booking (may fill quickly).
- One only/2 only = one or 2 spaces remain. Phone us to secure your place.
- Closed - course no longer available.