Arrowsmith Range Ski Touring Details | Winter 2018
Arrowsmith Ski Touring opens up the fantastic high-alpine terrain of Methven Heliskiing to private ski touring parties. We base the 4-day tours from Cameron Hut, situated beneath the peak of Mount Arrowsmith. Cameron Hut is a warm and comfortable venue (with lighting), easily accessible by helicopter, and close to numerous touring options. It is an ideal mountain hut for a shorter duration tour into the Southern Alps.
Methven Heliskiing helicopters provide transport, both in and out of the mountains. This allows you to tour each day with only a light pack. It also means we can take along a few comforts to make the stay in the mountains more enjoyable...
Touring Options in the Arrowsmiths
The Arrowsmith area offers spectacular high-alpine ski touring, in both glaciated and non-glaciated terrain. There are a range of options for differing levels of fitness and skills.
They can include the following options:
- An ascent of the Cameron Glacier to Jagged Col. Great views and a 1,000 metre descent!
- An ascent of Peg Col from Cameron Hut. Options for great ski runs or a descent into Jagged Stream and returning to the hut via the Cameron Glacier.
- A visit to the South Ashburton Glacier via Speen Stream. Ascend the glacier and experience an 1,100 metre ski descent directly to the hut.
- Ski touring in the Marquee region. This area offers spectacular views into the Rakaia and many great options for ski descents.
Previous high-alpine mountaineering or touring experience is not required. However, you must:
- Be at least a strong intermediate to advanced skier
- Have a high level of aerobic fitness ›
- Be used to carrying a backpack, or skiing with a backpack
The focus of these tours is on experiencing and enjoying travel in the backcountry. However, some instruction will be provided as required. This can include:
- Uphill skinning technique
- Avalanche transceiver searches
- Route selection
- Assessing avalanche terrain
Price and Inclusions | Winter 2018
4-day ski tours for parties of 2 or more
5 or 6 people requires 2 guides. Party size is limited to 6 people due to bunk spaces in Cameron Hut.
All prices are per-person.
The cost includes:
- Local transport to helipad
- Hut fees at Cameron Hut
- Helicopter transport in and out of the mountains
- Meals and shacks while in the mountains
- Lunches for any days spent in Methven (during the dates of the tour)
- Use of a range of technical equipment
Booking your Arrowsmith Tour
Arrowsmith Range Tours are available through July, August and September. We will arrange the start date based on your travel plans (subject to guide availability). Please contact us to discuss your options.
All Arrowsmith Tours begin at 08:30 at Methven Heliski office on Main Street in Methven on the start date, and finish at 17:00 on the last day.
What you need to provide
- Your own accommodation and meals while in Methven
- Equipment and clothing as detailed
The day-to-day program will vary according to weather and conditions. By maintaining a flexible approach, your guides will make the best use of each day, working around the weather and snow conditions to provide the best teaching environment.
A typical tour program:
- Meet at Methven Heliskiing’s office at 08:30 on day one
- Review the tour options based on weather and conditions, prepare equipment and food, travel to the helipad.
- Fly into Cameron Hut, set up base at the hut and spend the afternoon touring
- Day 2,3, & 4 - ski touring
You will be back in Methven by 17:00 pm on the 4th day. Please book your own accommodation for this night
Weather and Contingencies
Cameron Valley is off the Main Divide. It normally experiences more settled weather than other high alpine regions. It is possible to access Cameron Hut in most weather conditions using Methven Heliski's helicopters.
If bad weather prevents us accessing the Cameron Hut area for one or more days, there are other great day-touring options available in the Craigieburn and Mt Hutt Ranges. If we have to use these locations you will need to provide your own accommodation in Methven (see the accommodation list provided).
A one day weather contingency is built into the Tour (at no cost to you). If possible please allow some flexibility in your travel plans to allow for this.
How the contingency works: If we face a bad weather forecast when you start the trip, we can take the option of rolling back the start date by one day. This will allow us to take advantage of upcoming fine weather, and make the most your time.
While not required, it is helpful if you have some theoretical backcountry travel and avalanche knowledge. See our referenced winter-specific texts.
Ski Touring and Snowboard Hire Gear
Equipment and Clothing | Arrowsmith Tour
Please let us know what gear you need to rent - including any equipment supplied free of charge.
Choosing your clothing | Seasonal Variation
Our gear lists cater for all eventualities. Sometimes you may not require everything on the equipment list. Weather and conditions when your trip starts will help determine what is needed.
- Always pack for cold conditions on the Arrowsmith Tour. A 4-season sleeping bag, down jacket, and heavy grade thermal layers are required.
- Temperatures, weather, and snow conditions will vary. The program is designed to work around these changes. Read about Weather & Snow Conditions, Summer and Winter
Make a Booking
Book online here using a credit card or by bank deposit .
- Please ensure you have talked to us about guide availability.
- We require a deposit of NZ$1,000 and completed booking form for each person.