Mixed Climbing Course
Alpine Guides' advanced 5-day Mixed Climbing Course is a winter mountaineering instruction course for climbers ready to advance to the "next level".
Mixed Climbing Course (MCC) instruction topics focus on route choices, tool placement, anchor building/placement and problem solving – all in the challenging winter mountain environment. The aim is to turn you into a competent and well-rounded alpinist.
The course price includes aircraft access and exit flights, maximising your time in the mountains.
Course Focus - Your Development on Technical Routes
This course is about climbing technical, committing multi-pitch routes on snow, ice and rock, ideally after completing a summer mountaineering course. You will gain hands-on knowledge on steep terrain, consolidating the core skills you already have.
The Mixed Climbing Course (MCC) is ideal:
- As a follow-up from the Alpine Skills Course, or similar summer alpine course
- For training towards serious guided objectives, like Mt Aspiring (SW Ridge) or Aoraki Mount Cook.
- As a prerequisite for our Technical Mountaineering Course (TMC)
Private Mixed Climbing Courses are available and ideal if our scheduled dates do not work for you, or it you want to relax the maximum guide to participant ratio - based on your objectives and experience. See the detailed notes for more information.
Instruction topics include:
- Ice and snow/ice gully climbing
- Multi pitch “speed up” tips and use of terrain features for safety
- Transitions between snow/ice and rock
- Route selection and approach strategies
- Problem solving and self and team rescue
- Retreat and extraction skills and techniques
- Previous alpine climbing experience is expected
- A high level of aerobic fitness
- Rock climbing to AU Rock Grade 15 or water ice WI3
Private courses allow for flexibility of experience levels and objectives.
Based in Aoraki Mount Cook National Park
The MCC is primarily based at Plateau Hut in Aoraki Mount Cook National Park. This is one of New Zealand's premium alpine zones. With a modern hut and climbing close by it make a perfect venue. Alternate locations will be considered based on snow/ice conditions and weather.
Alpine Guides - based in the mountains
Because Alpine Guides is based at Mt Cook, you don’t have to be driven for hours to and from your starting point. We are right amongst the action.